Missionary (noun): Someone who leaves their family for a short period of time so that others may be with their families for eternity.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"Hello from...um...Munirka...I think."

July 20, 2011

In all honesty, I'm not sure where we are right now! I don't usually visit Munirka (Myoo-NEAR-kah). But I think that that is where we are. I'm fairly certain. We go to a separate cyber cafe each time that we write emails.
I'm sorry to hear about Grandpa. It was expected, but still sad. But he's in a better place now. My prayers go out to Grandma. I'm happy that she's taking it well.
So. Dad's birthday, huh? Happy birthday, dad! I haven't had time to buy an SD Card reader yet. But when I do, I'll be sending some pictures via email as a taste until I can send the Card itself! I have some good pictures. 250 now!
Last P-DAY we went to the zoo.That was fun. We saw several animals. With the humidity and the birds and monkeys flying everywhere, I really felt like I was in a jungle! Pictures soon.
Today was the 2nd Annual Amazing Race. Basically we get in groups of three (making 8 teams) and go around Delhi looking for clues to out next destination. My team got in 4th, which was really good. Us, 2nd and 3rd place teams each got within three minutes of each other! We had to take pictures of certain objects to lose time. 1st place beat us by 19 minutes! So they definitely deserved to win. It was a lot of fun. We had to follow our envelopes to the next destination, where we would receive another envelope. So we would see each other a lot and laugh at them when we got an envelope and they were still looking for the one that we had just found (and vice versa).
On Monday I went on exchange with Elder Podi. We visited a few members in Lado Sarai , made several street contacts, and made our way to Mehrauli. There, we visited Sister Selena and met her brother-in-law. A simple “hello” meeting turned into a deep spiritual experience. The brother-in-law, named Sechin, had fallen on hard times with his family. So Sister Selena brought him over to her home while we were still there and we taught him the Plan of Salvation. We then gave him a blessing of comfort, for which I think that he was really thankful. It was getting late, so we bid them goodbye and decided to visit one more family before returning home for the evening. The Chauhans lived nearby, so we visited them. We wanted to visit Sonita and Chaya, but Sonita was sick in bed in her home (And I didn’t know where her home was). They're cousins to the Chauhans and we can usually find them there. We talked with Punam and her father. Punam Chauhan is planning on serving a mission. She still needs to fill out her papers. After a short prayer, I opened with the scripture Ether 12:6, which talks about receiving a witness AFTER the trial of our faith. I explained that faith is like a fire; and it can go out very easily. Punam was translating for her father. He seemed really touched by the message. The Spirit was definitely there. I’m just hoping that a chain reaction will come that will get the Chauhan family back into activity.

We gave Sonita a blessing and a lesson yesterday. She says that she feels much better. Sonita and Chaya are marked to be baptized on August 7.

One more week until my first transfer! Scary how fast it's going. But I still have a long way to go! So Braden is having culture shock? I've never been to Australia, but I'm fairly certain my culture shock in returning to America will be much worse. I dunno. I love India. I'm already thinking how much I'm going to miss it when I'm gone. The only thing that I'm having serious trouble with is spiciness in food. I don't like spiciness, but i don't refuse to eat it either. Oh well. I'll be converted in no time!

That's it for this week. Love you all!

Elder Montgomery

No comments:

Post a Comment