Missionary (noun): Someone who leaves their family for a short period of time so that others may be with their families for eternity.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"Hello from Malviyah Nagar!"

July 27, 2011

Hello family and friends! For once, I am actually typing my letter from my own area. hahaha. There's not much to do here (except a huge mall) so we generally go elsewhere for P-Days. The mall is too expensive for regular usage, but I know where to go Christmas shopping now!

I'm adjusting remarkably well. I just got sick for the first time on Saturday. Nothing special. I still managed to get to the work. I've been taking Ibuprofen every night, just in case.
On Saturday, Elder Varada and I went to R.G. Road to give a blessing to a family of nonmembers. We met with a sister named Sister Sarala (SAR-la) outside of the local mall, and made our way to the home by auto. We gave a blessing to the mother and one of her daughters; the first an anointing and the second a blessing of comfort. We then sat down and explained about our church. We taught about our Heavenly Father and His love for us, about Joseph Smith, and the Book of Mormon. Sister Sarala bore her testimony better than I did! The family seemed especially interested in the missionary work itself; we spent about 10 minutes explaining how we are called of God to go to the world and teach, and to help others improve the qualities of their lives. It was a very spiritual meeting for us. We gave them two copies of the Book of Mormon (one in Hindi and one in English) and went on our way. We will definitely be bringing Sister Sarala with us next time (as her time with her family permits)! She was an excellent Branch Missionary!


We have two Elders leaving us. Today, Elder Chelladurai returned to his home of Chennai. He left really early this morning. He was one of my roommates, so I got to know him very well. Elder Gollapelli will be leaving tomorrow morning. We've gone on a few exchanges, and he serves in Lajput Nagar. We played cricket today to celebrate him on his departure. Cricket is...interesting. Very much like baseball but at the same time very different. There's only one base, for example, other than home plate. We played with a tennis ball.

Braden's still a missionary? hahaha. I'll send him one of the M squared pins that the Mission has. I'll send everyone some. They're really cool. M squared is "Member Missionary."

So. I heard about the budget plan that isn't happening. Congress had better get their heads together pretty quickly! Otherwise we'll all suffer for it. Not a fun plan.

It's been raining pretty heavily here. Almost everyday now. Getting to the thought of carrying my umbrella with me every day, just in case.

Happy birthday Rylie! I hope that you eat lots of cake! Let Noah have some too! He needs to grow to be super strong like his daddy!

We have, so far, failed to find an SD Card Reader. I've seen them here, but they're owned by people who develop photos for my companion. So, next week, I will be able to attach photos (a few, as a taste). I will still send the SD Card when it's full; as soon as I figure out the Indian Postal System. I still haven't sent (or bought) those postcards. Maybe today. (I'm beginning to see a pattern here; hahaha)

Jenkin should be leaving August.... um... 8th. And his birthday was last week. I know that much. Either the 20th (first guess) or 21st (second guess). I always get it mixed up with Harry Potter's birthday (June 21). So. Happy Birthday Jenkin! Hope that you enjoy your time on His mission in Guatemala! I know that you will enjoy your time there. Going on a mission is the greatest choice that I've made so far. I know that you'll feel the same!

Next package? Skittles, Reeses, and maybe one of Grandpa's ties. And whatever else you want to throw in there. As long as I get those three things, even if I ONLY get those three things, I will be happy. I don't like to keep lists of what "America has and India doesn't." India has some pretty nice stuff here too. I've adjusted to Indian lifestyle; it's mostly just American food that I miss. Speaking of which: I ate beef on Monday! After a zone conference, we all went to some place called the "Mizoram House." We ate beef and rice. It was soooooo good!!!! I had forgotten how much I liked beef. It was just shredded beef and potatoes but it was so GOOD!

That's about it. I am one transfer closer to Mission Accomplished! I can't believe that it's already been two months! But who's counting, right?
Love you all!
Elder Montgomery

No comments:

Post a Comment