Missionary (noun): Someone who leaves their family for a short period of time so that others may be with their families for eternity.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Two emails in one day!

August 24, 2011

Okay, so my first mass email attempt ended in failure. I think. I'm not sure if it got sent. I received a return message saying that my message has been truncated. I don't know what that means. Oh well.

Things are going well here. Neither of my companions that were supposed to be baptized next Sunday came to church last Sunday. So I don't know exactly what's going to happen. One of them (Adithiya) won't be available to be baptized until the 18th of September. The other (Rudhra)... I'm not sure. They're both doing really well, and they both will be baptized. It's just executing the ordinance that is the problem here. hahaha.

Last Friday we had a Missionary Fireside. Me and three other elders and a member put together a skit. It was a message about the value of missionary work. I played a greenie missionary. It was fun.

Other than that, not much. We just began teaching a couple of Nigerians. They're friends with one of our Nigerian members. He's very active. Very nice guy.
I ate a hot dog yesterday! Two, actually. I was out in the mall looking for something to take home to eat (getting late, and so most stores are closed). Looking for the Subway and I couldn't find it. So, I went to the first place that I could see in the food court. it was a hot dog stand! Except that the hot dogs are made of chicken! bumb bum BUM! They were still good though. Tasty. Expensive. One hot dog cost 90 rupees - that's a lot for a missionary's budget. Still good, though. I had been craving a hot dog.

For the last week, we’ve been regularly visiting an investigator named Adithiya. He is from the state of Goa, a stunningly beautiful place, or so he says. His grandparents are American (Indian by descent) and so he is very patriotic and outspoken about America. He has been taught the majority of the lessons in his time in Bangalore by some other elders. So we’ve just been reviewing what he has learned so far and teaching him what he doesn’t know yet. We’ve had some really powerful lessons. He’s explained to us how the he has been guided by the Spirit to safety. He has committed to follow all of the Commandments that we have given him so far. Unfortunately, he was unable to come to church last week and so his baptismal date (this Sunday) will have to be postponed until the 18th. He has some work in Bangalore. We’ll continue to teach him until he leaves and then figure out what to do next when he returns. Most likely he’ll be baptized at that time without an issue.
Because of the teachings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, he is facing his life in a much more dignified manner. He has always known that God exists but has never known what God wants from him. Now Adithiya knows the Plan of Salvation. He understands that he must keep his body clean. He has, for example, accepted the Word of Wisdom without restraint. He has no doubt that it is what God wants for him. I am grateful for his faith in Jesus Christ. It’s unflinching in the face of changing his life around for the better. It inspires me.

That's about it. The work continues. Life goes on. I got to eat some hot dogs. Pretty good week overall.
Love you all!
Elder Montgomery

No comments:

Post a Comment